[pct-l] Revisit: Umbrella Attachment for PCT Hike

There seems to be still some questions on the thorny question of holding an umbrella hands-free.  The best I have found is with cheap and very light weight foam pipe installation.  This is if you want your hands free while hiking, as with 2 hiking poles.

1.  Basically, take a straight umbrella shaft (mine is about 24 inches long)and put it down the center hole in the foam (tape the foam with duct tape to hold it closed, since one side is already cut for installation over a pipe). You must cut the foam to length for the height you want your umbrella to ride.  The umbrella shaft acts as a stiffener for the foam pipe installation.
2.  Specifically, attach the foam to your pack by placing a small flat portion (12X12 inches?)of a Zrest pad inside your pack next to your back.  Cut two slits and pass some Velcro through and tighten around the foam and pad.  All your gear and the top of your pack closed will keep this holding assembly VERY tightly in your pack.
3.  Attached the umbrella to the foam pipe installation by using 2 mini-bungie cords (.25 oz each).  One end of the bungies metal hook is tucked under some Velcro around the foam pipe (another piece of Velcro over the bungies cords and around the foam pipe for extra security)and the other ends to the underside of the umbrella. Do not stretch the bungies too much.  Just snug.  I also bend the hooks a little so they are a little more secure for the underside of the umbrella. Do not attch the hooks directly to the umbrella framework, but go up and over several ribs near the shaft and hook them back to the bungie cord.
4.  To colapse the umbrella, just undo the 2 bungie connections under the umbrella and take the umbrella out of the foam hole.  Fold the umbrella up and put it away.  It is as simple as that.  Takes may be 10-20 seconds to set-up once out of your storage bag/pack pocket. And the same for taking down.

This system is extremely cheap, light, secure, and easy to use.  Also, I attach a cord to the bottom of the umbrella shaft to put over my wrist or anchor to the ground with a tent peg if needed.  And of course, put some relective tape around the foam pipe sticking up out of your pack for your hitchhiking safety or general visability at night.  Later, Switchback