[pct-l] Early Season Fording Techniques?

Those were my concerns too. I really dreaded the high, cold water. Well, it
was not a problem in 2000! Two weeks earlier, maybe. Or maybe in another
year.

Here is the thing. It is normally really hot out. You are hiking in shorts.
The sun is blazing. And, your adrenalin is pumping. So, you have a rather
quick, wet adventure. Or make that several quick adventures. Some folks
change shoes (I did, but that takes time). Others just go in and let the
shoes dry as you hike. Definitely do not go barefoot. You want some
traction. Also, I found that a tennis shoe kept my feet warmer.

Evolution is the only place where the stream may be chest deep - slow, but
deep. We crossed where the trail went and had only waist deep or less.

That is not to say you couldn't experience real problems when you go
through - you might even fall. Yes, the streams are really fast - but, you
can pick where you cross. Having a few others around reduces the fear - if
you fall, there will be help. Sturdy poles help - hiking poles may do, but
they really are not be strong enough for real swift streams.

With luck, you won't experience many problems. So, don't worry about
hypothermia. But, do watch what you are doing.

P.S. If you are in Washington in Sept/October, watch out. That is where it
could be dangerous if the streams are high.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net