[pct-l] Re: bears and the smell of humans

> I have heard many places that bears do not like the smell of humans.
> Therefore, I work on smelling bad to keep bears away.

This worked for us on 2 occasions in 2003 - one in Sky Lakes Wilderness and
the other just south of Mount Hood (both in Oregon).
During each night I heard a bear approach close to the tent and then charge
off snorting in disgust. The food was in our packs outside the door of the
tent. We normally tried to hang our food up a tree but on many occasions we
could not do this due to no side branches on trees.
We had no problems in the High Sierra due to going through there by mid
June.

Alistair