[pct-l] Re: Altimeter Watches

Sorry for the late comment - just back from a 4 day ski trip in Banff
National Park - it was COLD - one night -37C(-34F).
I've had a CASIO altimeter watch for almost 12 years now. I found it a very
useful piece of gear on all trips including our thru hike in 2003.
Useful to provide that extra data to locate where you are on the trail,
Also can be used as a weather forecaster - when barometric pressure goes up
your height goes down during the night and vice versa.
One word of caution - many models (like mine) are not temperature
compensated. Meaning you will get a lower reading of height if the sun is
shining on it compared to a shade reading. Can be over 100 feet difference.
Also with large diferences between midday and night temperatures the reading
will change at the same point with no change in barometric pressure.
The temperature compensated ones usually cost more!

Alistair