[pct-l] beginning

Patrick - welcome to the list.  if you are new to hiking, then you
will no doubt benefit from all of the collective knowledge that the
list members so willingly share.

In my view, your question is a bit open-ended.  In order to help you
more effectively, please share a little more about yourself,
including:
1.  Have you ever hiked before?  have your kids?  if so, for how many
years?
2.  What is the longest hike you have been on?  ...and your kids?
3.  Have you ever been on an overnight hike?
4.  What part of the country do you live in?
5.  What kind of shape are you in?  complete couch potato, or elite
athlete?  same question for your kids.
6.  Do you have any camping/hiking gear or will you have to go out
and buy some?  if you have to buy some, do you want recomendations
for that too?
7.  If you have not been on an overnight hike, have you at least been
overnight car camping?  have your kids?  If you haven't at least done
this, then you might want to try that to make sure that everyone can
handle sleeping in the wild an eating camp-stove food.
8.  How much time do you have to hike?  weekends, or multi-week
excursions?
9.  Do you have experience reading maps and using a compass?
10.  Do you want a hike in a completely secluded and desolate area,
or would you prefer to see other hikers with some regularity?
11.  anything else that you want to add.

peace,
dude