[pct-l] PCT,,!

Thought of another thing that might be helpful for you

the John Wayne Wagons and trails association in WA (they have a website),
sponsors a long ride every year that goes for about half the state (the
year I went they crossed the state from East to West).  Ride is on the old
Milwaukee Road Railroad Bed, there were wagons and carts of every
description that were being pulled by every equine imaginable.  Most of the
people are very knowledgeable and experienced; that was why I went.  They
have a system where the horses are tied (5 in the morning), the trailers
all line up and are led to the next camping site which is generally about
20 miles away; then a bus brings the people back to their mounts and
wagons.  There also is a lead rider making signs and opening gates, a drag
rider making sure the last rider is in, a wagon master,  a water truck, and
a vehicle in case someone peters out or a horse gets lame.  This would be a
perfect system to work the bugs out of your cart and mule, and you would
have a resupply right there and experienced people to give you some good
ideas.
.
the rr bed is rough stone and hard on horses feet (they have to be padded)
and your cart should be well built. I would suggest that you do something
like this before giving the PCT any serious thought.

I found that I would rather be on a runaway horse then a runaway wagon!
Adds some depth to all that history prior to the 20th century.

Joanne