[pct-l] Good Ice Axe - Old Snowy

In 2000, the section of the trail in the Goat Rocks which goes below the
ridge of Old Snowy does go across a short, steep, and often icy section of
the Packwood Glacier with snow all the way up and down. It was the only
place in that year where I wish I had an ice axe. Stones and some steps from
other hikers worked, but it was rather scary. On two other occasions I also
went across that section: once there were rocks above and below which I
chose and the other time there was a good soft trail.

The alternate is to go straight up the ridge toward Old Snowy peak and then
down another ridge. I presume that would have been OK any time because it is
more exposed. However, you do have a pretty steep climb to get to it - but
what a view.

Anyway you do it, it is a beautiful, exciting section.

My two cents on ice axes: if you don't know how to use it, it won't help you
if you fall. However, used as a strong pole, it might stop you from sliding
in the first place. But, if you aren't a mountaineer, don't venture out onto
ice in the first place - wait until it softens or find an alternate route.
In 2000, I never used the ice axe except for stream crossings. Would I take
one again?  I don't know.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net