[pct-l] Good Ice Axe

Hi Robert,

I've got an ice axe, but havn't had time to practice with it. So no
recommendation here.

> Also, how about Altimeters, is there much use for one on the PCT ?.

I love my Suunto Altimax. Because of it I've never felt like I needed a
GPS and most of the time I don't care for a compass either. An altimeter
is lighter than a GPS and gives continuous readings without draining the
batteries or need for a lock. By checking your elevation against the trail
on a map it is easy to figure out where you are. You even start counting
distances in elevation: It is not "still 3 miles to go", but "2500 more
feet gain to go".

Then again, you might not need an altimeter once you are back in Florida.
So maybe a GPS is more usefull for you. Last week I saw a Geko at Target
for 80 bucks. Altimeters are often more expensive then that. (Check
Campmor, they often sell cheap Casio or Timex altimeters. Don't know if
they are good though.)

Ilja.