[pct-l] Good Ice Axe

Like crampons, which ice axe you have is far less important than your skill
level with it. Self-arrest has to be an automatic, virtually instinctive
reaction when you fall. You will have only seconds in which to accomplish
the task.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Given where I'm going and the time of year I'll be there, am I reasonably
liable to need one? If no, the rest is moot but be prepared to abort your
trek or re-route if reality proves your decision to have been incorrect.

2. If yes, do I have the training and practical experience to use one? If
no, definitely go get it before you go any further. This could prove
difficult in Florida.

3. If yes, am I confident I can stop any fall I may experience? If no,
practice until you are or change your plans.

4. If yes, do I have an adequate axe for the job? If no, get one.

For a detailed description of ice axes and their characteristics, see
http://www.promountainsports.com/ice-axes.shtml

I have two axes: a Charlet Moser (Technical rating) for glacier travel and
mountaineering  where my @#$ is definitely on the line a lot, and a
lightweight Grivel Mount Blanc (Basic rating) for the PCT. Both are equipped
with a leash so I don't accidentally get separated from my axe during a
nasty traverse or a fall. Technical axes are heavier, costlier, and much
stronger than Basic axes, but unless you are doing the PCT in the dead of
winter, a basic axe is all you'll need in a normal year.  The lighter the
axe, the more force is required on your part to make the pick dig in during
an arrest. There are some areas of the PCT where the snow accumulations can
be really steep (high angle) in some years. Logic says that unless you have
very good mountaineering skills backed by years of experience, avoid them by
re-routing or laying over awhile until conditions get better. IMHO, 'tis
better to reach Manning Park several weeks later than planned than to arrive
in the afterlife years ealier than necessary.

Wandering Bob