[pct-l] Umbrellas

My umbrella was quickly eaten by the wind and chaparral on my thru hike
   Some time back someone mentioned Birdie Pal umbrellas for hiking
  Now if we can just get a pack that's waterproof and has an umbrella
attachment that come with it. When I used an external frame pack I got a 2' piece of
1.5 inch PVC pipe and lashed it to the frame. Then I stuck the umbrella handle
in it. Worked great until a gust of wind sent it sailing. So then I duct
taped it to the PVC pipe. Looked like crap but worked. Then the problem was that
when I took my pack off, the open umbrella was easily damaged by banging into
things. I suppose I could just carry it just like everyone in the city does,
but that gets old after 8 hours of hiking.
 Sometimes I just allow myself to get soaking wet in my supplex nylon duds
until I make camp. Then I put on my dry Polar Tech stuff. If it keeps raining, I
crawl into the tent and sleeping bag after hanging my wet clothes under a
tree shelter to drip dry. If it stops raining, I have a campfire, dry EVERYTHING
out and continue on the next morning as if it had never even rained --
assuming of course that it has stopped raining
 Speaking of rain, it's now pouring like a bovine doing you know what you
know where. What a surprise on a December day in the lowlands of Puget Sound, eh?
No need for REI's rain gear test today -- just step outside for ten minutes