[pct-l] Rain Gear

Personally, I use the following:
Marmot rain parka XL (don't know type) with hood = 14.5 oz.
Patagonia silk weight pants (under hiking shorts) = 6.5 oz.
REI (?) Gore-Tex shell mittens = 1.75 oz.

I highly recommend a parka over a jacket.  Mine comes down well below my
waist.  I think of jackets as ending around the waist.

I also carry some poly gloves (1.5 oz.) for extra warmth under the mittens.
The glove system is important because I use two hiking poles and in the rain
my hands are VERY exposed.

I have not hiked in very heavy rain/wind situations with the parka, but my
impression is that this system will work fine.  Anyway, I don't mind a little
leakage.  Additionally, I wear a long sleeve Sun Precautions Super Active Shirt
(10.0 oz.) with all hiking, so that provides some extra warm and comfort under
the rain parka.

If things get REALLY serious - read hypothermia, I will put on my North Face
fleece jacket - no hood (15.0 oz.).  This would then be a 3-layer system for
the trunk/arms of my body.  The head would be covered by my Sun Precautions
Shade Cap with Neck Drape (4.0 oz.) and the rain parka hood (which I rarely use
unless it is REALLY raining).  Of course, I also carry the normal fleece
balaclava (2.5 oz.).  By the way, the cap has a very long bill, so the rain stays
away from my face.  It is almost like being on a porch watching it rain.  Kind
of weird.

Also, I usually hike in Bite sandals, so I have Seal Skin socks (3.75 oz.)
too for rain/cold.  No problem there.

I want confidence on the trail.  It is not bad weather that will get me, but
bad equipment and poor judgment.  So, I plan accordingly to have good
equipment and use it properly.  Then I say to myself, "bring it on".

One of the great feelings on the trail is to have the exact right equipment
for the situation.  But don't plan to have everything for every possible
situation - just what is necessary for you or your pack might weigh 80 pounds.

The other area of concern is keeping the pack contents dry.  I use trash
bags/Zip Lock bags inside the pack.  I might use a trash bag on the outside too,
if I thought it was going to be rainy for a lot of the hike.  Also, I might
carry a tarp along with my TarpTent.

Sorry for all the verbiage.  Later, Switchback