[pct-l] cell phones

In a message dated 12/14/03 10:50:13 PM, Ddd51@aol.com writes:

<< According to the people at a
cellar store in my area, the small "flip" phones can only transmit about 2
miles.   >>

This is the main reason I don't even own a cell phone. I can't see paying out
extra $$ for service that is intermittent at best. As far as I'm concerned,
cell phones are a step back in quality.  Why do you think the guy is going
around saying "can you hear me now"? Because most people CAN'T hear him now, so
they are placing cell towers every 50 square feet. Believe me, they would place
a cell tower on every peak in the Sierra if they only could. I'm more than
willing to wait for the day that satellite phone service becomes affordable.
Until then I'm sticking with my plugged in phone. It works each and every time I
use it, even if the power is out. And I don't have to constantly yell "WHAT?,
you're fading out" into it. Not to mention all the battery hassles. Who cares
if I'm out of touch when I leave home. I don't. That's what answering machines
are for.
  I guess I feel the aggravation-and cost - just ain't worth the "advantages"
of theoretically being in touch with the world no matter where I am. And I
feel like slapping silly the ditzy people who use cell phones while driving, at
my peril.
 Now I suppose I will have to suffer the wrath of people who think cell
phones are the cat's meow, and how their cell phones saved them from certain death.
Guess I'll just assume they're really office manager control freaks who like
to keep their employees on an electronic tether