[pct-l] Re: Half way Break?

Depending upon origin of flight, look into flying into Sacramento (SMF) and
renting a car and driving North on I-5 to Red Bluff/Redding area...  from
Red Bluff, Hwy. 36 goes to Chester and Lassen Park area...  from Redding,
Hwy. 44 goes to Lassen Park and Old Station/Hat Creek Rim area...  from
Redding, Hwy. 299 goes to Burney (and Burney Falls off Hwy. 89...  and Hwy.
89 somewhat parallels the PCT from Lake Tahoe to Mt. Shasta/Dunsmuir).  It's
been many years, but most folks and businesses in the both Chester and,
especially, Old Station will bend over backwards to help people - and you
could play tourist in Lassen Park and surrounding spots (I'm partial to the
Old Station environs, especially if you have the rental car for extended day
trips).  There are low-key "resorts" with cabins at both Old Station and
Chester areas.

Flying into SMF - a "medium" sized airport (and on the northern outskirts of
Sacramento) - one can gather baggage, catch free transportation to the
centralized auto rentals, pick up the rental car, and be headed North on I-5
inside of an hour!  You will probably pay $10-$20 more than flying into San
Francisco, but MUCH LESS hassle in the airport, car rental, and driving, if
heading to northern CA anyway.  And airfare and car rental is MUCH LESS $
than flying into Redding...  I now live in central PA, and Sacramento is the
best that I have found for combination of convenience, time, and $, to get
to Redding and Yreka - where my relatives still reside...  But, your better
half may want to see San Francisco!!

And I also concur that Ashland, OR, even though well beyond 'half-way', has
many positives, too - especially the Shakespeare Festival.  And for
intimacy, don't forget the B&B in Etna (NO - NOT the converted BARN for
hikers, but one of the rooms in the main house!), though there's not too
much to do around town.

Enjoy!  Best of luck.  Happy trails!!