[pct-l] Contacts and....hiking boots??

I would say that 90% of thru hikers wore what I call fabric boots. I would
dare to say that 3 out of4 thru hikers had foot problems ranging from SEVERE
blisters to popped tendons to extremely sore soles to various and sundry arch
problems. At least that's what I saw on my thru hike, mostly at the common way
stations where clinics and foot first aid sellers did a brisk business. And
since I was slower than most with my sub 20 mile per day pace, I saw a lot of thru
hikers. (Hey I was 52 and it was my first long distance hike)
    Therefore I must conclude that for most people running shoes offer little
protection on their own, for the feet of thru hikers. Of course some may say
that's the way it is and there's nothing one can do about it or try another
brand or inserts and on and on. Personally, I think its because most people's
feet are accustomed to having a heavier sole.  Protrusions of many kinds on the
trail bruise parts of the feet not accustomed to having a minimal sole AND 20
+ miles a day put on them. Repetition then leads to injury. Blisters are
probably a result of poor fit or too many miles in a day with feet wet with sweat
or water. Eventually the feet seem to toughen up enough so that you can at
least hobble your way to Canada without pain killers. At least that is what I am
told but sure as hell don't want to find out by switching from something that
works so well for me now. And you all know what that is -- no need to iterate,
now is there.
  If you want to toughen up your feet for the PCT why not try a 90 mile run
in moccasins like the Anasasi did in the Grand Canyon. Do it 2 or 3 times and
you can then be the first person to do the PCT barefoot