[pct-l] Contacts and....hiking boots??

At 02:15 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, todd kimmel wrote:
>Contacts -  For those hiker's not blessed with 20 20 vision, what is the
>best way to handle optical assistance.  Are disposable contacts fairly
>common on the trail?

I knew only one person who wore contacts on the trail when I through hiked.
Most wore glasses. This person had the ability to keep his contacts in for
days longer than he should have without irritation. I don't recall anyone
using disposable contacts.

>I suppose picking up solution along the way is not too difficult?

At the larger towns solution it is not an issue, but many of the most
convenient resupply towns have little in the way of supplies.

>Hiking Boots -  I've heard that some people prefer sneakers/running shoes
>over hiking boots?  What is the norm on the trail?  Does anyone reccomend
>certain brands?  I have a nice pair of REI boots but I'm not sure about
>durability and lifespan.  Typically how many pairs of shoes will a
>thu-hiker go thru?

As many said, most wear low-cut running shoes or trail runners. New Balance
is very popular for the running shoe devotees. In the desert, I enjoyed the
New Balance 730 which has large vents. Your feet and socks get filthy, but
stay cool and quickly dry. I also liked the Montrail trail runners and I
currently like my pair of Merrel Baja Ventilators.

I saw a podiatrist recently and he seemed to think the pain along my
metatarsals was caused by the flexible sole of the New Balance running
shoes. He said the thick sole of most boots keeps the forefoot from flexing
as much, removing some stress from the metatarsals. (Note: the metatarsals
are the finger like bones in the foot and a stress fracture along the 2nd
or 3rd metatarsal takes a few people off the trail every year.)

However, since my metatarsal pain went away once I got over-the-counter
orthoses (Superfeet). I think the shape of my feet changed a bit during my
hike and the Superfeet gave my arches the support they needed. Shortly
after, my metatarsal pain went away.

Though many people suggest the high leather upper of a boot provides
protection from twisted ankles, this is only partially true, if at all. If
your knee goes one way and the your foot the other, you can still pull a
tendon or ligament. However, the upper can restrict lateral (roll as
opposed to both pitch and yaw) movement and possibly prevent a pull or tear
that way. However, having strained my ankle both ways in boots with high
uppers, it's not bulletproof protection. Perhaps you have to lace the boot
tighter than I was willing to receive this protection. Still, thick-soled
boots with a high uppers are nice for rugged (off-trail) terrain, deep snow
and deep mud, but as Yogi said, it's not needed for the PCT's tread. Though
you may post-hole in the High Sierra snow, you'll usually get your leg back
with its running shoe.

I like trail runners myself, but have to use Superfeet with them to support
my arches. My podiatrist may be right and some people may do better with a
boot, but I'll gravitate towards lighter shoes for as long as I'm able.

Yet another opinion is at: http://staff.washington.edu/gcthomas/foot.html

Tangent