[pct-l] Contacts and....hiking boots??

As an inexperienced  hiker preparing for an '04 PCT thru-hike, I find my
mind being consumed with hundres of questions that seem to exit my head
shortly after entering.  I've recenetly decided to start writing these
questions down regardless of how trivial they might be.  Anyways, here's a
couple of things that I'm wondering about:

Contacts -  For those hiker's not blessed with 20 20 vision, what is the
best way to handle optical assistance.  Are disposable contacts fairly
common on the trail? I suppose picking up solution along the way is not too
difficult?  Does proper sanitation become an  issue?  Do some people scrap
the whole contact thing and just wear glasses?

Hiking Boots -  I've heard that some people prefer sneakers/running shoes
over hiking boots?  What is the norm on the trail?  Does anyone reccomend
certain brands?  I have a nice pair of REI boots but I'm not sure about
durability and lifespan.  Typically how many pairs of shoes will a thu-hiker
go thru?

Thanks for all the help.....more questions to come.

Todd

Set yourself up for fun at home!  Get tips on home entertainment equipment,
video game reviews, and more here.
http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx