[pct-l] Re: Three Sisters

You can go up South Sisters from Green Lakes. Lots of people have done that,
but you need to make your own trail up until it joins with the main ridge
and trail from Moraine Lake. Actually, I think I did follow some type of
trail up - and no trail down (I would stay on the trail next time). Not a
big problem since it is pretty open terrain. Just head up to the ridge on
the south side. Lots of talus towards the top make it very slow going. Can't
imagine running in that stuff, except down.

Camping policy at Green Lakes: get a hiking permit at the trail head; camp
only at spots marked with a post and tent sign. There are warning signs when
you are in the restricted camping area.  If you are in high season on the
week-end, they may be taken. However, if you go toward Broken Top, you can
find many spots to camp without problem. Would add another 30 minutes to the
hike to Green Lakes.

After several times to Green Lakes, I now recommend going from Todd Lake -
the views are spectacular. You aren't along the creek, but you get up faster
and have open views. Goes right into Broken Top. Of course, that is if you
are driving. But, you can also do that from the Green Lakes trail head too.
But, if you are already on the PCT and do the cut off to Green Lakes via
Moraine Lake, forget this suggestion.

If you have energy for one more peak, I recommend Middle Sister. More of an
adventure than South Sister since you go over snow fields (went from
Obsidian Falls area on the west side).

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net