[pct-l] resupply strategies for 2004?

At 05:32 PM 11/24/2003 -0500, Christopher Willett wrote:
>I'm not a picky eater.  Mac and Cheese, Ramen, Lipton's, etc, [...]

I think not being a picky eater really helps when resupplying at some of
the smaller places. Some of the places Chris mentions like the gas station
at Cajon Pass are simply gas stations with a small "mini-mart" selection of
food. In this case, as you're a day away from Wrightwood, it's fine, but it
might not be fun for a 5-7 day resupply, if you need variety in your food
as I do.

There is nothing wrong with the resupply strategy Chris supplies, but I
thought it'd be nice to have some alternative thoughts mixed in.

Also the PCTA web site has a nice article on resupply strategy:
http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/strategy.asp

And, if you are behind the mob of hikers or even in the thick of it, you
may find the smaller stores picked clean.

>5) Cajon Pass.  The gas station next to the McDonald's is perfectly
>adequate for resupply and had a good selection of the Mrs.Fields
>cookies that I came to loved.

You can also get a Big Mac to go. :)

>6) Agua Dulce.  The little store in town can be used for
>resupply.  Much better, though, is to stay with the
>Saufley's and borrow a car to go into one of the larger
>towns in the area, where there are regular supermarkets.
>Bought and mailed food to Kennedy Meadows and VVR (see later
>note).

If you are in the "teaming mass" of hikers as I was, it may be quicker to
hitch into town on your own. Or, quicker still to send yourself a package
from an earlier town. You may feel better about depending less on trail angels.

>7) Mojave.  Big supermarket about a mile from Whites motel.
>No HEET or denatured in town when I was there.

Tehachapi is an alternative to Mojave. I've been to both and like the
flavor of Tehachapi more. While in Tehachapi, I was adopted twice by locals
who wanted to show me the town. I have a hard time imagining that happen in
Mojave. However, city planning is not one of Tehachapi's strong points and
the spread out nature of the town drives many hikers nuts. I didn't mind it.

>9) VVR. Maildrop from AD, but unnecessary.  Lots of reasonably
>priced food here, along with denatured, cannisters, and White Gas.

Mammoth Lakes is a great resupply but mid-way on a 4-day trek between VVR
and Tuolumne Meadows. However, it's a great place to pick up trekking poles
and shoes.

>11) South Lake Tahoe.  If you pass it up, you're a fool.
>Caesar's buffet is the best AYCE on trail, although be
>warned that they'll kick you out after 3 hours (2 hour
>time limit), as happened to at least 2 hikers this summer.
>Big stores.

South Lake Tahoe is also a great place to get a new pair of shoes, if need
be. The Tahoe Pizza Company in South Lake was the pizza I had on the entire
trail.

>12) Sierra City.  Smallish store, but relatively easy resupply.
>Sent a food drop to Burney Falls SP.

>13) Belden. Skip it. You can buy supplies out of the store, though.
>Keep pushing to Chester.

Belden is worth skipping. I went to Quicny. Not a great place a to get
shoes, but you can get some here. Large Supermarket in Quicny.

>15) Burney Falls SP.  You can resupply out of the camp store,
>but it is pricey. The most expensive food on the trail, easily.
>I sent a maildrop.

The town of Burney is an easy hitch and has a great supermarket.

>16) Dunsmuir.  Good store in town. HEET at the automotive parts
>store across from the B&B.  You can resupply at the gas station
>(Amarattis) in Castella.

An alternative is Shasta City. Again, a great place to get shoes and gear.
Also great if you want to do a side trip up Mount Shasta.