[pct-l] BIG Bridges in the Stehekin Region

Greetings!

Regarding ===>

Message: 15
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:36:14 -0700
From: "Marge Prothman" <marge@prothman.org>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Photos of Stehekin after storm
To: "'PCT List'" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

SNIP
It will be interesting to see how and where the PCT is rerouted
to take the place of the big bridges in Section K (Stevens to Rainy
Pass) There are three big up and downs in this section.

BIG SNIP
Cheers,
Marge   [The Old Gal]
========================
ALL of the BIG bridges - Harlequin, High Bridge, Tumwater, Bridge Creek and Park Creek -
are OK and open to traffic even if you can only get your vehicle to each one by Sky-Crane!

I drove the barely open section between the Stehekin valley Ranch and what we locals refer to as
"Coon-Run". - a distance of maybe 1/2 mile. The damage is mind-boggling. The "track" is just
sufficient for one vehicle to pass and serpentines in/out/around log-jamb-after-log-jamb and thru
ribs of gravel/sand. It is a very primitive track and to one hiking on foot it would be like traveling thru
a monster avalanche run-out - NOT fun!

It will be weeks before the so-called "emergency road" to High Bridge is open and who knows when
the road sections connecting all of the BIG bridges will be replaced (NOT repaired). Meanwhile, the
high-route via the OLD WAGON ROAD connecting High Bridge to Bridge Creek will be the trail of
choice.

As more info becomes available, I will post it to the group...

Happy hiking -

Dick Bingham - w7wkr
Stehekin, WA