[pct-l] Bears & Losing weight

I solo backpacked through Yosemite this summer and didn't encounter any bears
and almost no recent signs of them in the back country. In crowded areas it
was another story. My observation is that the introduction of bear kegs is a
deterrent and rather than trying to steal backpacking food in remote sections of
the PCT, the bears find it much easier to get food at the popular
"backpacking" camps like Glen Alpine. The day before I arrived there, a mother and two
cubs walked through the camp in mid afternoon,  easily getting food that was
left exposed.

Regarding losing weight, that can be a real issue. I lost about 50 lb. hiking
the AT, which I contribute to hiking on a lean budget. My food consisted
almost entirely of oatmeal, rice and processed noodle dishes. I'm 6' tall and only
weighed 143 lb.lbs. At the end I had great muscles for hiking up mountains,
but a physical showed that I had actually lost strength in some areas.