[pct-l] Esbit tabs on planes

I know someone who checked in their backpack on a plane flight and forgot to remove some of the strike-anywhere type matches that were inside. Apparently, the vibrations from the conveyer belt when it was being loaded caused the matches to ignite, sending out a plume of smoke. The FAA was going to fine him $27,000 for the mistake. His lawyer negotiated the fine down to 10 percent, $2,700. Still an expensive trip.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Gene Neagle
  To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:09 PM
  Subject: [pct-l] Esbit tabs on planes

  When I flew Frontier and United this summer to Colorado and back to Portland the airlines said the solid fuel wasn't allowed. I bought my fuel for the first part of the trip in Denver and shipped the remainder in the mail. I sent the packages ground transport only. When I checked my pack at Portland airport it registered on the explosives check. Security hand searched it and ran it through another X-ray machine. Then they took the matches out of my waterproof container. I removed matches and lighter beforehand but I forgot those matches. For what it is worth...