[pct-l] Re:chaparral and fire

We once attempted a loop hike in Ventana Wilderness.  We discovered that
the area had had a climax burn about 20 years prior.  It left thousands
of dead standing trees.  With the shade gone, chaparral grew to fill in
the space between the trees.  Every winter some of these dead trees fall
in storms.  So the trails were unbelievably difficult to hike.  They
were all choked closed with shoulder high chaparral, interspersed with
fallen trees like giant pick up sticks.  I would never return there
unless I could take a chain saw along to clear the trail.
We are so blessed to have Pete Fish and his crew to clear the chaparral
and fallen trees.  We helped with clearing the trail after the Willow
Fire and we know something about what it will take to reopen the trails
next year.  We will be there to help and hope you will be too.
Marion