[pct-l] women & hitching

I would not recommend hitching alone.  It's that whole common sense thing
plus everything your mom told you about strangers.

Here's the thing:  long-distance hikers pretty much HAVE to hitch
occasionally.  But you don't HAVE to hitch alone.  On the PCT everyone goes
into the same towns.  Unless you want to hike alone, you will be with trail
buddies who also need to get to the same town you're going to.  The boys
will want to hitch with you, because you're a small blond female and they
say we girls get rides easier.

Also, I've had many hitches tell me that they picked up me and my friend or
friends because 2 or 3 people with backpacks look like they need help.  That
we clearly have a destination and we're not simply thumbing around the
country.  They say we're less threatening because of that.  So maybe 2
people get picked up easier than 1 person.  Who knows for sure.

Use your best judgement.  If a car stops and it doesn't feel right, thank
them for the ride, and say "oh damn, I left my camera back on the trail at
my last stop."  And don't get in the car.

I do know one couple who completed a PCT thru-hike without ever hitching.

yogi

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access.
Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service
providers in your area).  https://broadband.msn.com