[pct-l] hitching

I don't know if I ever 'turned on the sleaze' consciously. I did experience
the US in a more interesting way because I needed to ask for rides and for
help now and again. If I compare the trip in 1996, when we traveled by
rental car, and the trip in 2001, when we had to hitch, the second trip made
me feel like having met some of the regular folks.

We had a ride in the back of a pick up, in small cars owned by students, a
car with no seats owned by a Texan in Oregon, a ride in a chicken compost
truck... And we got a place to sleep in the back of the bus drivers garden
in Hood River.

I guess we did 'chat up' anybody we met. Mostly the people who looked like
hikers themselves. On the one hand we were curious about their hiking, their
lives and the trail ahead. On the other hand, we often needed information or
help and that seemed the best way: just to ask.

And yes, we do pick up hitchhikers whenever we can, especially when we are
together in the car. So if you ever are anywhere near Amsterdam
(Netherlands) and need a lift... stick out that thumb. Or better yet, ask.

Saskia