[pct-l] Fires in Southern Cal and Vanity Fair

On 03.10.24, Montedodge@aol.com wrote:
>   Just turned on the tube and looks like Southern Cal. is burning up. ( Large
> fire in San Ber. Nat. Forest over 8,000 acres) Is this near PCT? You folks
> need some of the water we got a few days ago in Washington. ( Over 4 inchs in
> one day in Olympia)

	The fire of most immediate concern to PCT hikers (any sobos
out there still?) Is the "Grand Prix" fire.  It's located a few miles
south of the PCT, southeast of Wrightwood.  It's expanding to the
north, as show in the last two day's of Forest Service fire maps.
There's a paved road north of the current fire bounds, but based on my
memory of the area and similar files in, say, Malibu, the fire could
easily jump the road.

	There was a fire a few weeks ago in Lone Pine canyon, just a
few miles north of the present fire, closer to the PCT.  The area is
very vry, and any chaparral that hasn't burned in the last 7 years or
so (some of this area hasn't burned in the last 20 years or so) is
hazardously flammable.

	The Angeles National Forest has already begun shutting down
access roads due to the high fire hazard and the limited amount of
equipment and personnel avaiable to safeguard the public in the forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/news/2003/news-2003-10-22-chantry-gate-temporarily-closed.shtml

	This is not the only fire in Southern California at present,
and the Grand Prix fire, along with several others, is suspected of
being set by arson.

	I would not be surprised to see forest closures, like we had
last fall, if these conditions (weather and social) continue.  For
not, though the PCT remains open.  Remember, though NO OPEN FIRES are
allowed at the present time.  Only fuel stove-type fires allowed, and
the Forest Service would prefer those only in developed campgrounds,
please.

					Craig Milo Rogers