[pct-l] backpacking planing

At 01:03 AM 10/24/03, omeror@pob.huji.ac.il wrote:
>i plan a long walk.i prefer not to walk with all my gear on my back (which
>means 25 kg)what are my options. as far as i see it there are two a mule or
>staying every night in a hut what can i do in this specific trail.

Buon giorno!

The best way to carry less than 25kg on your back is to carry less than 25kg.

Many long distance hikers have reduced pack weight to about 6kg (not
including food and water), and still are safe and comfortable. 20 years
ago, 25kg was common, but not today. We have several list members who hiked
the PCT in 1977, and I think their packs were that heavy....

There are no huts on the PCT, and there are very few European Style Huts in
the whole USA. The "shelters" on the A.T. are simply a roof with 3 walls, a
wooden floor, and lots of mice.

 From what I understand, using a pack animal on the PCT (mule, horse,
llama, goat) is more difficult than carrying your gear, becuase the animal
needs more care to stay healthy than the human.