[pct-l] hitch hiking

On my way hitching from Yosemite Valley to Berkeley to return a pack to Eddie
Bauer and meet with the president of the North Face and pick up a new pack in
1977, I caught a ride from a pretty young lady and her 1 year old daughter
asleep in the back seat at midnight on an on-ramp in Oakland.  I asked her why
she would pick up a huge crusty backpacker at that time of night risking
herself and her daughter.  She said the ice axe on the pack spoke that I was a
serious outdoorsman and she likely could trust me, and . . . any white guy standing
on an on-ramp in Oakland at midnight clearly didn't understand the danger he
was in!

Greg

"You cannot travel the path until you have become the path." Guatama Buddha