[pct-l] Re-supply on the PCT

A couple of things to add to Mags list, which was very close to what
I did through CA, but in OR and WA I still bought as I went.

The Sierra City store is apparently under new ownership and is
trying to get a better selection of foods for hikers.  He was
taking suggestions when I rolled through and even started a hiker
box based on Floater's suggestions.

In South Lake Tahoe, spend the extra cash on the Caesar's buffet. It
was $22 and I think Will put away 8 lbs of prime rib.  They
definitely lost money there.  Several
hikers went to the cheaper Havery's (I think) dinner buffet and
got a bit sick.  I went there for breakfast and got sick
later in the day.

In Old Station there is a new cafe, the Coyote Grill.  Very good food
made by a chef who used to work at Sardi's in NYC.  Watermelon
gazpacho on a 100 degree day?  Yes, I would like some.

The Mazama campground store may have a new managing company because
prices were in line with regular stores this year.  Selection was
good, but I got there are the man was restocking the shelves.  There is a
PO about 3 miles up the road to the lake.  Hitching is illegal in the
park, but a ranger gave me a ride up after informing me of this fact.

I didn't want to spend my lazy zero day in Ashland running around
sending out packages, so instead I sat around eating donuts and
losing at trivial pursuit and just bought at Sisters. The Oregon
terrain is pretty easy, so the leg from Mazama to Sisters and
Sisters to Cascade Locks went by quickly.  Sisters is like a
small version of Gatlinburg, but does have a big store and a
PO and friendly locals.

The White Pass store closes at 6 during the week.

In Snoqualmie, Timewise is now called something else. Travellers
Rest, I think. When I got there, there were only 2 thruhikers in
front and the selection of food was perfectly fine.  Cheese and
tortillas and good beer.  I didn't look in the gas station.

The motel in Skykomish charged $78 for a queen sized bed for 2.  Not
really worth it, but I was pretty tired when I got there and wasn't
about to hitch out.  If I were going to take a zero day in the
area, I would certainly hitch to Leavenworth instead.  The
gas station here in town can be used for resupply, but hikers in the
main group might find it sold out.  The liquor/convenience store
next to it is hopeless.

Chris

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics