[pct-l] Snow Predictitions (was good starting date?)

Perhaps "fairly routinely" conveys more regularity than is warranted,
but it has certainly been know to snow in July and August in the
Sierras.

I had always heard that summer snow prevented construction of the
transcontinental Rail Road.  This is from PBS:
"In August 1865 early snows defeated the Central Pacific's initial
attempt to begin work on Tunnel No. 6, the Summit Tunnel".
source:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/tcrr/peopleevents/e_tunnels.html

here is a fairly recent account:
"July 17, 1987 - Up to eight inches of snow covered the Northern
Sierra Nevada Range of California.  Susanville CA reached 17 degrees,
Blue Canyon CA dipped to a July record of 36 degrees. (The National
Weather Summary)"
source:
http://www.norcalweather.com/history.shtm

Another site promoting snow skiing in Lake Tahoe boasts:
"High Sierra, the snowiest region on the North American continent
where snow is known to have fallen in every month of the year"
source:
http://www.tahoevacationguide.com/Activities/skiing.html

another similar site:
"...snow has been recorded in every month of the year!"
source:
http://www.funvacation.net/index8.html

You certainly have much more experience than I do in the Sierra
Nevada.  My first hike in the Sierras was in 1998, so I tip my hat to
you.  Perhaps your experience hiking in the Sierras is more practical
than what I have been reading. haha.  However, I did get snowed on
during the first few days of September, which is pretty dang close to
August.

peace,
dude