[pct-l] Re: Snow Predictitions (was good starting date?)

> "If you start from Kennedy Meadows on June 15th, you'll probably
> encounter little snow." Plus or minus 2 weeks error, what do think
> my chances of being wrong are? Extremely, slim.

Perhaps "slim" is a accurate, but you could still very easily be
wrong.  In 1998, I think that only 3-7 people made it through the
sierras before the 3rd week in August and they were way slow.
Several hikers flip-flopped that year in order to complete a "thru-
hike" and tons bailed.  Very few actually completed a true linear
thru-hike.  The snow level was well over 200% of "normal" and even in
September, there was still LOTS of snow on all the passes of the
JMT.  The TYT had lots of snow even in some of the lower elevations
till late August.  There were several spots where the trail was still
under 20 ft of snow for miles.  Dick's pass took us 2 days to get
over in the 2nd week of august (no ice axes).

I like reading Greg's predictions and his reasoning, and the current
snow level reports.  It's valuable to me to know what the snow levels
are, and its FUN to see if he will be right.  I never consider his
snow-level posts to be anything more than a guess-timate by an
experienced hiker trying to share his experience with others.
Because of years like 1998, there is no way to rely on any predctions
and/or plan your hike according to them.  Anyone who would put that
much stock in anyone else's weather predictions is fool-hearty.

Additionally, I do use the posts about current snow conditions (not
predictions) to plan some trips.  Last May (2003) someone posted a
message that indicated the peak flow day in Yosemite, and I really
appreciated that.  In fact, I drove 10 hrs from Oregon to Yosemite to
be there on that day and it was spectacular.  I went back three more
times this summer and saw the falls dwindle down to 1/10 their size
on that glorious day.  Stuff like that is why I am on this list.

My whole point is to just to say "you never know".  The Sierra
Nevadas fairly routinely get snow in every month of the year.  It
could be a normal snow year with a fast melt-off by mid May, and then
there could be a huge dump of 30 ft over the last two weeks in may or
even into June.  Combine that with mild temps, and very few people
will be hiking in the high sierra by mid-June.  Is that scenario
likely?  Probably not.  Is it possible?  for sure.  How many times
has that happened in the last 50 years? probably more than you
think.  Will it happen on YOUR thru-hike?  there is no way to tell.
You just gotta plan your hike as best you can and leave the rest up
to fate.  There is nothing you can do about the weather.

HYOH.

peace,
dude