[pct-l] good starting date?

Bill,
Welcome to the list! My only recommendation is to be sure to attend the
ADZPCTKO. Not only will you meet many of the people you'll be hiking
alongside for the next 5 months but you'll also meet many former thru-hikers
and trail angels. Information about equipment, water caches and the like
will be available there.

As far as entering Mexico, I don't recommend entering on foot alone in the
Campo vicinty. It isn't exactly the safest place in the world. If you're
insistant on entering Mexico, I'd do it around a popular border crossing
such as Tijuana. It's still not the safest but with a little knowledge of
the Spanish language and things to look out for you should be fine. (Again
entering alone is always a bit sketchy)

Sean aka Tick