[pct-l] RE: Howdy, A couple of general questions

Unless the Sierra has a really weird, snowy, icy spring, you won't need
crampons unless you are the first person through the Sierra.  Otherwise
established paths are generally available, and in steep areas, like the snow
chute near the top of Forrester, there's almost always an established way to
get across.  Yes, it can be a little hairy on the NB approach to some of the
passes, but I don't think crampons would change that.

You also have to manage your timing to avoid possible ice.  Don't hit passes
early in the morning or late in the evening when the snow has started to
freeze again.  You'll be doing this timing anyway because of a much greater
afternoon reality: postholing on the ascent and decent.

When I first read about timing my passes, I was a little intimidated, but it
works out.  You look a few days ahead, and either hang out a bit more
(longer lunch breaks or stopping for the day early, say 7PM) or pick up the
pace to set yourself up.  In a normal snow year, leaving Kennedy Meadows in
early June, the first one you'll have to set up is Forrester.  Then, at a
'normal' through hiker pace, you'll have a pass a day, more or less, for a
few days, as I recall.

I've hiked through the Sierra on the PCT in early June for the last three
years in New Balance trail runners (80x and 904s), and I'd do it again in a
normal snow year.  You know your own skills and level of comfort.  Switching
to boots (that won't start a set of foot problems) is not a bad idea, it's
just a bit of work.  If you do, think about making the switch in
Mojave/Tehachapi (or Onyx) where outgoing mail is easier and cheaper. The
problem is that last hot section in boots, unless of course, you still have
your Chacos.

It can be a tough hitch at Sonora Pass to the northern Kennedy Meadows.

And remember, the first person to get to Manning Park gets to . . . go home.

John B., the hiker formerly known as Cupcake