[pct-l] good starting date?

I hear different recommendations for when to start a south-north thru-hike.  When should I arrive in Campo?  Mid-April?  I'm looking to start as early as possible, and plan to finish in between 5 and 6 months.

Also, I'm debating a short stint in the area around Tijuana before getting to the trail, crossing the border and beginning.  Anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps, warnings as to whether or not crossing the border on foot is or isn't such a hot idea?  This list rules.  Bill, pct-l greenhorn.