[pct-l] a few questions

In a message dated 10/7/03 9:04:10 AM, res46@cornell.edu writes:

<< 2)I plan on hiking

in running shoes for most of the time, but would you recommend hiking

boots for the extra-snowy/mountainy sections?  i.e. the high sierra?

If not boots, how about gore-tex trail runners to avoid wet feet?  I'd

prefer to just hike in running shoes for cost and wieght reasons, but

if people have found that uncomfortable, I will think about bringing >>

Ask ten people and get ten answers all of them correct and all of them wrong.
I would say boots and a tent because that is what I used (and would again)
but I don't want to be accused of trolling so you will just have to find out the
hard way through the school of hard knocks. Ya put yer money down and ya take
yer chances.  Maybe you'll throw a seven and maybe you'll throw snake eyes.
Try making a gore tex balloon, put it in a bucket of water, put a 50 pound
bag of sand on it and see if is still dry in the balloon the next day. Some
people say wet feet are inevitable in the Sierras and so what. Some say (and know
for sure) they ain't and that's what. Now the North Cascades in a steady 3 day
or longer rain is another matter, but you are asking about the Sierras, not a
vertical swamp
 As for Oregon in July and mosquitoes, an IV along with about a pint and a
half of your blood type are  good things to have, with or without a tent