[pct-l] a few questions

Normally the stretch you are going to do will be sunny, warm to hot, with
little to no rain. And you normally would only have 1-2 days of inclement
weather. But, rain and snow can come at any time. There can be clouds and
cool/cold weather. You don't want to be out there without proper gear for
cold, rain, snow, sun, and heat. It won't get too cold, but if you get wet
and it gets cool you could be in trouble. If you venture into
Oregon/Washington, rain and cold is almost guaranteed. And, you could get
several days in a row of that weather.

I second the use of Frogg Toggs. They are light weight, serve as
windbreaker, rain protection, and warmth (but not too much as they breathe
very well).

Bug protection will be necessary in early spring and summer. During the day
especially. Bring the netting. Lots of people use tarps in the Sierras (and
elsewhere). Go for it.

No Gore-tex shoes: they hold water. And they dry slower than others. Do have
dry socks. If you don't venture out on ice, good trail runners should be OK.
If it is cold, get a larger shoe and put in heavier socks.

Stream crossing: some people hike right through; others take sandals or
water socks. Your choice.

Enjoy!

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR