[pct-l] Affording a thru hike

A lot of technical computer jobs pay very well for contract and
temporary positions lasting six months or less. Depending on your age
and current skill set, retraining for this field is not easy, quick, or
cheap, but could be very rewarding financially if you choose to go this
way. I hear that there are a lot of short term opportunities for
nurses, as well.

You might try a few "informational" interviews with contract and temp
agencies in the area where you have chosen to live and see what
positions are most in demand and see if any of them are feasible for
you to go out for or retrain for.