[pct-l] transition to running

"Ripperton Matt" wrote:
 >Does anyone have any tips on marathon training, or
running  generally, after a long hike?

Matt,

I took up running to get in shape for my AT hike in
'98 and then immediately started back to it when I
finished the AT.  I had the same experience with the
awesome endless cardio fitness, but some irritating
muscle soreness.

This is normal, but you should not overdo it in your
training until the soreness is gone.  The soreness
happens because the muscle groups that you use for
backpacking are not exactly the same ones you use when
running.  The running muscles are just trying to get
into shape again.

Additionally, muscles are of two fiber types:  fast
twitch for quick explosive motions and slow twitch for
long endurance activities.  We are all born with a
more of one type of fiber than the other and an
inherent advantage at either sprinting or long
distance running.  I'm being a bit simplistic - you
can find a lot of info on muscle physiology than I
will go into here.

Basically, it is possible for the body to convert fast
twitch fibers into slow twitch, which undoubtedly
happens during all those strings of 20+ miles/day on
the long trail.  This process doesn't happen
overnight.  Thus, coming back home and asking your
body to now convert some (marathon running requires a
good share of slow twitch, but all running requires
some fast twitch) of the fibers over, takes some
energy and time for the body.

While the fiber type conversion may not be directly
causing the soreness, it is a reason to be sure to
build in lots of rest days and cross-training.  My
recommendation to you would be to run every other day,
if your marathon training schedule allows, and then
swim, bike, etc. OR weight train.  Weight training has
really helped my running lately.  You'd be surprised.

Good luck!
Nocona