[pct-l] transition to running

I've been on a few runs since I've been back, and the legs are the main
problem.  They get really sore during and after the run.  That is,
sore muscularly.  Cardio and stamina are fine. I've been suprised with the
legs, though, as I thought all the muscle I built up this summer during my
thru hike would carry over to running.  Apparently, this is not the
case.

Chris

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Ripperton Matt wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on marathon training, or running generally, after a long hike?  I just returned from over 3 months on the trail, in great shape, and I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to try for a marathon this fall.  I'm targeting around mid-November to mid-December.
>
> I run intermittently for recreation & fitness, and completed one marathon in under 4 hours in 1998, so I'm not a total novice.  My runs since I got back have not been too fast, and I feel great cardio-wise, but my legs get incredibly sore afterwards.  I have been running perhaps every other day since I got home about a week and a half ago, and things have not improved.  I thought it would just take a short time for my muscles to adapt to the slightly different movement, and then I would be all set to build my mileage base quickly.  Now I'm worried I won't be able to make the transition in time.
>
> If anyone has any advice or experience with this & can help I would appreciate it very much!
>
> Ajax

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University