[pct-l] transition to running

Does anyone have any tips on marathon training, or running generally, after a long hike?  I just returned from over 3 months on the trail, in great shape, and I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to try for a marathon this fall.  I'm targeting around mid-November to mid-December.

I run intermittently for recreation & fitness, and completed one marathon in under 4 hours in 1998, so I'm not a total novice.  My runs since I got back have not been too fast, and I feel great cardio-wise, but my legs get incredibly sore afterwards.  I have been running perhaps every other day since I got home about a week and a half ago, and things have not improved.  I thought it would just take a short time for my muscles to adapt to the slightly different movement, and then I would be all set to build my mileage base quickly.  Now I'm worried I won't be able to make the transition in time.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this & can help I would appreciate it very much!

Ajax