[pct-l] Re: Tarptent in heavy rain

>Any feedback or comments?

Steve - Another method that I found works is to sleep under a tarp when
necessary and protect yourself from bugs with a nylon long top and bottom
along with the OR spring ring headnet. Unlike in the east it always gets cool
enough to sleep comfortably this way.
The ground along the PCT usually drains well enough to get by with a closed
cell pad and no groundcloth. The only exception is near a lot of dead wood
where there are a lot of ants, so avoid dead wood.
The best tarp is probably the new SpinTarp X-Cat from <backpackinglight.com>
which goes from 5 1/2 to 7 feet wide by 9 feet long, has a catenary
ridgeline, and with its new lighter material weighs only 7 oz.
For lines I would use the new <backpackinglight.com> AirCore Spectra.
At the two ends the most durable stakes that hold the best are the Easton
Aluminum tent stakes. I'm not sure what to recommend for the stakes along the
sides. I use Kelty Nobendiums.
You can usually avoid the need to use a tarp to protect yourself from dew by
not sleeping low or near water. Rain is unusual and with this larger tarp it
should be easier to deal with.
Hope this helps. --David