From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of
Bighummel@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 2:11 PM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Bear Killed in Section D

I have been meaning to post this to the list for a few weeks, but I've been
too busy. Here it is anyway;

Posted in the Inland Valley Bulletin about 4 weeks ago;

<<<
Bear Suspected in Attacks Killed
By Diana L. Roemer
STAFF WRITER

A bear that attacked a hiker and a Girl Scout troop to get their food was
trapped and killed by officers at a mountain campsite, California Fish and
Game
officials said Monday.

Spokeswoman Lorna Bernard said a trap was set for the animal July 30 after
receiving two July reports about a "vicious" California Black Bear knocking
down
campers to get their food at Little Jimmy Campground, off Angeles Crest
Highway north of Azusa.

A reportedly healthy bear - believed to be the culprit because of a
description given by campers - was killed July 31 by Fish and Game officers
after he
was trapped, Bernard said.  No one was seriously injured in the July 3 and
July
23 attacks, which Bernard said are the first reported attacks in California
since 2001.

But the July 23 attack was called "vicious" and "disturbing" by campers who
witnessed it.

A group of Girl Scouts, and an off-duty U.S. Forest Service employee and his
wife, were preparing to camp at the remote site, said Martin Wall, a Fish
and
Game patrol officer.

Campers reported a bear came crashing into their site.

"A small brown (colored) bear  . . .  entered the camp and proceeded to
"attack" anything and everything man-made," Wall said the campers told him.
The
bear approached with its head down while making a low pitched moaning sound,
Wall wrote in his report.

In the earlier reported attack, Pasadena backpacker Shane Henry, 31, settle
at the campground at about 8 p.m.

Three minutes after he set his backpack on a picnic table he heard movement
behind him.

"I was knocked down.  The bear was standing over me, he ambled over to my
pack and started to drag it away," Henry said. "I think that campground was
his
haunt."

Henry, who said he received bruises from the attack, got to this feet,
yelled, shouted and threw rocks at the 6-foot-tall bear he estimated at 300
pounds,
in an attempt to make him drop the backpack.

Eventually the bear let go of the pack, which contained peanut butter and
honey sandwiches packed in plastic bags, Henry said.

Henry retrieved it, saying he wasn't scared, just mad.  But he went home
that
night, he said.

Henry said he talked to Wall about the incident.

"In talking to Fish and Game, apparently that's happened before at that
campground.  There's been bears there rooting through people's stuff," he
said.

U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Gail Wright said throwing rocks at bears is
not behavior officials recommend.

" Hey Yogi, how about some peanut butter and honey sandwiches?"

Be careful out there,

Greg Hummel