[pct-l] trekking pole grip immaterial

I'm an old time biker and hiker and when I went hiking I wore my biking gloves long before the trekking pole craze evolved. The fingerless gloves add that little bit of extra warmth for camptime chores, chilly hiking, spring skiing, and protect my hands when I'm scrambling along cross country routes. In dry mountain ranges like the Winds, they have helped keep my hand skin from the dry and painful cracking, and the extra sun protection at hi altitude is appreciated. For 20 years I used a broom handle hiking pole, and each one lasted 5 years.  I now use a single pole for hiking, a Komperdell Guide with a foam straight grip. It serves as my tent pole, bear poker, dog tamer, scarf dipper, camera pod, snowfield tester, creek crosser, old friend, and trusted third leg on countless treks. So far, I'm retiring each pole after two years, and they look very battered with every scratch telling a wilderness tale. I would approach the grip material from a different angle, and give bike gloves a try.  Then you can fine tune the complex array of pole designs available today without restricting your choices based upon getting the grip, alone,.. just right.