[pct-l] Re: trekking pole grip material

i personally prefer cork handles.  i currently have a pair of leki makalus
(no springs!) with plastic handles.  i've walked about 3000 miles (not
including my treks this summer) with these poles.  this is actually the
third pair of poles i've gotten from EMS after buying one pair originally
and having two pairs break in various ways (not to give EMS a plug or
anything, but they do have a nice return policy).  anyway, the plastic at
first began to "melt" off and turn my hands black.  miles later the hard
plastic core began to become exposed.  the soft plastic is much more
comfortable than the hard plastic core.  the melting has mostly stopped, but
the exposed plastic core remains uncomfortable at times.  i still use them,
and will most likely continue to do so; however i feel cork is a much more
superior material.  it doesn't "melt" on to your hands turning them black
the way plastic does.  and i think it feels much better when your hands are
wet with sweat or rain.  i would also suspect it would be more durable as it
isn't subject to this "melting".  anyway, just my $0.02 on the issue, it's
something i've thought about as i've been walking.

regards,
mike d-low-renzo
pct-class-of-2002

>I'm curious what are people's opinions about trekking pole grip material.
>My old pole had a foam rubber >grip that seemed to work fine. I see lots of
>foam and rubber/plastic, but I am suprised to see cork. >How well does a
>cork grip hold long-term? I'm also a little concerned about comfort. I
>imagine a cork >grip to feel sorta "wierd". A friend of mine rented a pair
>of poles last year that had cork handles, and >he siad they were OK. I held
>them, but didn't actually hike with them. Is cork a superior material over
> >plastic or rubber

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com