[pct-l] Steri-Pen

At 10:47 AM 7/31/03, Jeff King wrote:
>I do find it
>interesting that military types use it, especially when its not issued. Not
>any form of scientific evidence, but more of a "gut" endorsement that the
>gear is worth the cost/weight/hassle.

Actually the big news here in San Diego is the troops' use of, and desire
for CamelBack water packs. A Steri Pen won't work in a camelback......

I've heard praises for the CamelBack, but not much about the Steri Pen,
except it is better than tablets. Water purification is not often needed
because most of the troops' water is supplied either from tanks on trailers
and has already been purified (sort of), or in the liter plastic bottles we
are all familiar with. I asked about filters, and no one had seen any
personal filters in use. The water trailers (called "water buffalos") are
filled from a large filtering system.

CamelBacks are also not issued, but they are so popular in Iraq that there
was a recent funds drive here in San Diego to buy more of them and ship
them to some Marine units "in need."

In a recent article evaluating Lessons Learned in Iraq, these two items fit
evaluated this gear choice:
==
Top Performers: Sustainment: The Camelback-type hydration system is clearly
what the soldiers desire - just need to emphasize durability.

Top Areas for Improvement: Sustainment: Soldiers still spend too much of
their own money to purchase the quality packs, pouches, belts, underwear,
socks and gloves they believe they need for mission success and comfort.
==