[pct-l] Reading material

Here's my recommended, comprehensive, over-stuffed list of reading in
preparation for a PCT or other long distance trail hike;

For a historical perspective;
Pacific Crest Trails by Joseph Hazard, 1948
A Pacific Crest Odyssey by David Green, 1979
Journey on the Crest by Cindy Ross, 1987

For your philosophical and spiritual preparation;
The Art of Pilgrimage by Phil Cousineau, 1998
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, 1968
The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher, 1968
The Thousand Mile Summer by Colin Fletcher, 1964

For getting into the High Sierra mode;
Exploring the Highest Sierra by James Moore, 2000
West of the Rocky Mountains, or, To Yosemite and Beyond, or, any collection
of writings by John Muir

And lastly, for the practical side of things;
Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof, 2000

Some of these will be difficult to find, like Joseph Hazard's book.  Others
can be found used on Amazon or other internet sources for very little.  Some of
the newer ones you may want to borrow from a library to read and not buy as
they may be pricy considering your pre-hike budget.

These are the core of my "PCT" library along with some others such as Rachel
Carson's "Silent Spring" and a few others that aren't quite on topic to the
PCT but are in the line with wilderness ethics, values and politics that may
cross your mind while out there.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel