[pct-l] Animal Questions

Whoah....that's bizarre.  I'd freak out too.  Your reaction was was
consistent with what the Rangers tell you you're supposed to do in such
situations.  I love the way the tell you to stand still as if you had a
choice to do something other than freeze in panic.  I like to do long day
hikes in areas that sometimes are well off the beaten path, but I've never
encountered any big creatures apart from deer, elk and other
non-people-eaters.  In fact, yesterday I enjoyed a nice 27-mile stroll
through the Enchantment Lakes area here in Washington and I got very up
close and personal with several whole families of mountain goats who tend to
follow people around because they crave the salt in your urine--gross but
true.