[pct-l] Animal Questions

Staven -

In over 30 years of hiking and camping starting at an early age (although,
admittedly, I'm not a thru-hiker, nor even much of a backpacker), I've only
run across animals (other than squirrels, marmots, armadillos in Texas, and
lizards) on the trail on only two occasions.  Both were rather benign;
simply animals who were startled when I approached and ran away pretty
quickly.  I've seen more in camp, but they tend to be solitary animals after
food.

I've never encountered something like you speak of; I'm inclined to think
that it's pretty rare, since most animals will simply hear you coming and
disappear long before you get there.  It's quite possible that in the chase,
and the noise that it involves, these animals simply didn't hear you OR
smell you coming.  Like I say... pretty rare.

I remember one instance, while hiking a trail in Kings Canyon, I walked
parallel to a black bear for over a mile.  He kept his distance, and didn't
really seem to care that I was there, though it was obvious that he was
aware of me.  For my part, as long as he kept his distance, I was fine too.

I'd be inclined to say that, though I understand why you would freak out,
especially with a two year old, in this case you may be over-reacting a bit.
I'm sure others will weigh in on this subject, but I really believe what you
experienced was something to be cherished rather than feared.  Not many of
us get to see that aspect of nature!  And it appears that you did exactly
what you should have done; stay still and let the situation sort itself out.
No sudden moves to antagonize or scare the animals.  In fact, it sounds like
you saved a boar! :)

Having said that... if you're still rather freaked, perhaps there are some
other suggestions out there for handling this situation?  I tend to prefer
NOT to use the various animal maces, etc... no need in harming animals
unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.  After all, we're visitors in their homes,
right?  I think there are probably common sense solutions like the one you
took to resolve these issues.  Maybe a blood curdling scream, or rocks
thrown when have disbursed everyone more quickly?

Just my 2 cents worth...

Bill Richardson
VVR Webmaster