[pct-l] Animal Questions

I need some help and would appreciate any info or recommendations.

Recently, my wife, my 2 year old, and myself were packing out of Lane Trail
Camp at Big Basin. About a mile out of the camp, something resembling a wild
boar jumped across the trail in front of us and went into the brush on our
right, while what appeared to be four small bob cats who were chasing it(?),
fanned out and stayed on our left. The animal on our right stopped and was
growling, while the ones on our left continued to approached. We didn't move
for a few minutes, and eventually, everyone went their separate ways, and we
continued on.

However, ever since, I've been rather freaked about going back out, and
especially about taking out 2 year old. I don't really know what to think
about the whole thing. I've never really thought about carrying anything for
"defense", not that that would really help, but I'm really kind of spooked.
Is it a good idea to have some kind of mace type product or something?
Anyone have any suggestions? Any recommended books I should read? I've never
carried more than a leatherman, so the idea is pretty new to me. May be I'm
just overreacting?