[pct-l] PCT South of Sonora Pass

Hi all
This last weekend I backpacked in the Emigrant Wilderness south of Sonora
Pass.  Most of the thru-hikers are farther north but I ran into a couple
from Calgary (I was inexcusably negligent in not getting their names) who
are doing the California section.  There was also a 67-year old from Seattle
named Bill section hiking with a P2 he was still trying to figure out (if
anyone has a link I'd like to communicate further with him).  At the Leavitt
Lake trail junction, an Asian gentleman passed but didn't want to stop so
all I got from him was he had left Campo on May 26 and when asked his
trail-name "George, just George".  A couple in their 70s were finishing
their Tuolemne-Sonora Pass section and said this area was the prettiest
they'd seen on the section.

I'd been at Tuolemne last weekend with voracious skeeters but this weekend I
didn't bother putting on any Deet.  Mt. Kennedy and the valley below are
breathtaking.  Coming up the trail a mile or so south of the Leavitt Lake
junction, one is given the option of taking the stock trail with gradual
switchbacks or the hiker option.  The post supporting the signs indicating
the options is lying down but positioned correctly.  Underneath the carved
word and arrow saying "Hikers --->", some wag has penned in "Hell"
forewarning of the very steep nature of this section which was breathtaking
and not just because of the scenery.

I finished up the weekend at Lake Leavitt where a lot of people were
fishing.  The most popular bait was Rainbow Power Bait.
JD
'04 Gonnabe