[pct-l] OT Bear Incident

Kurt
The ursine retinue came by around 11 PM when my son and I were asleep in the
tent.  We had put everything in the bear canister but my son had a PB&J late
snack before dozing off and although I made him put the sandwhich bag in the
bear canister 20' from the tent, he didn't brush his teeth again.  We had no
food stuffs nor toothpaste etc. in the tent.  Our packs had been totally
emptied and left outside with all flaps open.  It was a bright full moon
(visuals were similar to seeing by use of car headlights) and we hadn't put
on the fly.  Mama bear swatted the mesh at the feet end (see photo of
aftermath if allowed by moderator) and the sense of a seismic explosion woke
us up.

I made every intimidating animal noise I could and was running out of
repertoire quickly, none of which had ever worked with the family dog.  Mama
stood 9-10 feet away behind a log with BooBoo 1 & 2 perched on the log
taking notes on her technique.  Finally I came up with a wretched imitation
of a mountain lion which seemed to resonate with some primal sense of theirs
(or else they were so embarassed for me) and they took off for easier
pickin' elsewhere.

We were told the next day she was a tagged bear "Orange 19" and her MO was
charging people with food and stopping short because she had found that
humans tended to take the path of least resistance in such circumstances and
immediately throw their bagels and Top Ramen at her.  I ran into three
rangers checking backcountry permits by the junction of the JMT and Mist
Trail and recounted the story.  They then asked if she had shown any
aggressive behavior.  I wasn't sure if they were messin' with me but offered
to show them the attached digital photo of the claw marks ripping the tent
mesh.  They declined.

JD Schaefer
'04 PCT GonnaBe